Wednesday, January 30, 2008

when you don't know where to start, sometimes it's easier not to start at all.

And that's what I've been thinking the last three days...I have NO idea where to begin, so I will just procrastinate.

El Salvador. It was great. I made dear friends, learned more about community development (and economic development, in snippets), ate lots of food, took lots of Imodium in response to the food, planted cilantro (holla), watched mothers write their own names for the very first time, and met a nun from Jersey.

I also realized that my hunch about having Seasonal Affect Disorder--that hunch is probably legit.

But for now, let's talk about these beauties...



Here I am with a founding member of the village, plus my two favorite retirees and our kick ass translator, Nely:



Don't worry, I stole him for an afternoon in the hammock...but his grandma's pretty cute too, so I gave him back.


NOTE: The people on my team were really convinced that my love of cute babies would translate into a pregnancy about three weeks into being married. As much as I tried, I could not convince them otherwise.

Heart. Breakers. Jairon. Dany. Juan Carlos.



Her name is Paz, and after playing catch for about ten minutes, she proudly announced that I'm her best friend. She's ten and loves to read books, but doesn't have any books at home...and she probably won't go to school past sixth grade since the road to the city is so bad. And the government keeps promising a new road, one that might give Paz a shot at middle school, maybe even high school. But it's not looking good. So for now we bring books, and we read with her. And we hope that Agros can help with that road...
The boys are pretty cute too--Diego's on the left. They call him Siego Diego, and ordinarily I would discourage that kind of teasing, but since he's such a sass...I decided to feign ignorance (No EntiENDo).



So, there's a taste...

1 comment:

Maryann said...

Wow! 1) mmm cilantro, and 2) honeymoon baby!